photo Jane Richmond_zpsux4wawxl.png

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Modern Sewing.

This past weekend was our first ever Modern Sewing Meetup organized by the lovely Shannon from luvinthemommyhood. I am a novice when it comes to sewing even though I've been doing it on and off since I was little. My mother bought me a Bernina a few years back for my birthday and I have been dying to put it to good use.


{ Amy and her Quilt}

With sewing I'm always winging it and failing miserably. I never follow a pattern which always leads to unfinished or poorly finished projects that often get scrapped. Searching for a project was a ton of fun, there are endless online sewing tutorials that will walk you through each step. I chose the Pocket Skirt by Jessica from Running with Scissors. It was super easy and I was amazed to find out that sewing with elastic thread is dead easy!



Here is my finished skirt, I love the pockets!

I used an old bed sheet I'd purchased from Value Village (I have a collection). I used the piped hem of the sheet to my advantage along the bottom of the skirt, it worked out really well. The only thing I regret is using elastic from my stash that was too wide (1/2 inch), it makes the top of the skirt look just a little bulky. I may buy the right stuff and swap it out... it would be easy to do.


Satin Moon was so generous to host our group. Once we were there they were so kind and helpful, we even had an off duty crafter join in - it was so great to meet you Sarah! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!!!

5 comments:

  1. OMG!!! your skirt looks AMAZING! You must be over the moon about it! sweet candy! I might need to make one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee! Here's to sewing groups! Love how the skirt turned out my dear! So cute and you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe you completed it so fast!! It looks fabulous on you! Do I really look that... THAT... while sewing? Why didn't anyone tell me?! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you convinced me. I've had that skirt saved on my tabs for a couple of weeks now. This morning I was laying in bed thinking about it and now you posted it. It must be a sign, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. skirts 9and dresses) with pockets are the best!! I can't beleive you made that from a sheet, it looks so amazing.

    ReplyDelete